aimless meanderings of a simple mind

for description of of title...see title...

Name:
Location: olympia, washington, United States

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

April, 5th 1994

where were you when you found out Kurt died?

i had just got home from school. i was in 8th grade. for some reason, me and my two best friends all went to my house after school that day. we came in, went downstairs to turn on mtv (cause it was still cool in 1994) and watched kurt loder (who looked like he had been crying) tell the world that kurt had been found dead in his home in seattle. we were shocked. no idea what to do. we all liked nirvana, and kurt was a hero to all of us in some way. we broke out Nevermind and blasted it as loud as we could. no smiles, we just jumped around and trashed my basement. we didn't know what to do. we found some cool pictures and made a little shrine in my hidden room underneath the stairs, we lit some candles. what else was there? we watched the tv and soaked up all the information we could about his "self-inflicted gun wound". we knew that kurt had been having trouble with heroin and his stomach and we figured that that was why he ended it, it seemed to make sense. drastic, yes, but kurt was a crazy guy. it took me a long time to actually come around to nirvana. i liked Nevermind, and i liked the song Sliver. as many of you know i'm a big nirvana history buff now and i have read several books on the band. i have my suspicions about his death. but, today it'd be a good thing for us to remember his life. the music he left, it's suprisingly good once you have a real listen and understand where this guy was coming from.

so, that's my post for the day. or, at least my subject for right now. where were you when you found out kurt cobain died? or, did it not really mean that much to you? for me kurt was a screaming voice of my youth that stopped all to suddenly, and left me with a feeling of...well...what now?

take a second today and listen to at least one nirvana song. the end is playing them all day long, amonst other songs. they're taking today, the actual day of kurts' death, and using it as a day to remember. i think i'll join them.

peace, love, empathy,

-weatherboy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home